Sunday, March 22, 2009

Childbirth Class

Yesterday we went to our first childbirth class, the class lasted from 9am-5pm. The first part of the day consisted of teaching us about what was going on in the womans body, the second part we went over breathing technique, and the third the actual pregnancy. The class was pretty good, although at times I found myself struggling to stay awake. The teacher was nice enough, although I thought she talked a little too much about her kids and less about actual childbirth. Anyways I guess halfway through the class I had the need to entertain myself. The teacher was teaching about the mother and baby's body composition during pregnancy. She said typically the mother gains about 25-30 pounds during pregnancy. She said that babies typically weigh about 8 pounds. She said where is the rest of the weight, there was a long pause and finally I said "The mom's thighs". All the men (and some women) were cracking up. Of course I got hit by the wife to let me know what she thought about the joke. The teacher would get her retribution later on without even knowing it, right before lunch we were forced to watch a birthing video that showed way more than I needed to see. I felt pretty sick. Near the middle of the class we learned breathing techniques and pressure point to relieve some of the pain that mom has when she is going through pregnancy. At the end of class we got to take a tour of the hospital to see what the birthing rooms looked like. It was pretty neat. We rounded out the day by giving our wives massages for the last hour of class, my hands were killing. There was so much more that I could talk about the class and I feel like I had a chance to understand the birthing process a little better. I just gave the highlights of the class, there was

1 comments:

clay said...

We were supposed to do the all-day thing to knock it all out at once, but I got sick. So...we had to take classes every Monday night for 6 weeks instead. You're lucky. I envy you for having the guts to make the thighs comment. I would have laughed! I think Vanessa would have laughed too, but I definitely would have gotten hit.